Assistant Professor, Physics, CMU
- Theory and computational models of living systems and processes
Adjunct Professor, University of Florida
- We develop new computational methods to model biological processes and mine high-dimensional, multi-modal biomedical data.
Professor, Assoc. Vice Chancellor, Science Strategy & Planning (HS), Pitt
Pittsburgh Foundation Professor and Director, Pitt
Institute for Personalized Medicine, Pitt
- Dr. Berg’s research focuses the relationships between the structures and functions of biological molecules.
Associate Professor, Computational & Systems Biology, Pitt
- We investigate the molecular and cellular origins of human epithelial malignancies through computational approaches.
Professor, Chemistry, Pitt
- Research in the Chong lab involves the development and application of molecular simulation approaches to model a variety of biophysical processes.
Professor, Computer Science, Pitt
Director of Advanced Data Management Technologies Lab, Pitt
- Database Systems, Mobile and Pervasive Data Management, Distributed Computing, Operating Systems, Real-Time Systems.
Professor, Biomedical Informatics, Pitt
- Application of decision theory, probability theory, Bayesian statistics, and artificial intelligence to biomedical informatics research problems.
Professor, Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, CMU
- Using rheological, biophysical, and optical techniques to understand the structure and organization of the cell nucleus.
Professor, Bioengineering, Pitt
- Reverse Engineering Morphogenesis – From Cell Motility & ECM to Tissue Mechanics.
Associate Professor, Pathology, UPMC, Pitt
- Synthetic Biology and genetic circuit engineering, Programming multicellular systems and organoids via integration of systems and synthetic biology, Synthetic living machines, Morphogenetic engineering using human stem cells, Study and recreate multicellular evolution, computation, recording, and their emergent behaviors.
Distinguished University Professor, Mathematics, Pitt
- Dr. Ermentrout’s main focus is in the area of mathematical neuroscience where he tries to understand the patterns of activity in networks of neurons.
Fredkin Professor of Computer Science, CMU
- Data Mining for graphs and streams. Fractals, self-similarity and power laws. Indexing and data mining for video, biological and medical databases.
Professor, Human Genetics & Biostatistics, Pitt
- Statistical methods for complex family-based datasets. Detecting identity-by-descent and testing relationships using dense (sequence or chip) data.
Associate Professor, Biomedical Informatics, Pitt
- Pattern mining whole-genome and whole-proteome sequences, with application of suffix array data structures for preprocessing genome sequences.
Associate Professor, Computing & Information, Pitt
- The design and development of computational methods for solving clinically relevant biological problems.
UPMC Rosalind Franklin Professor and Chair, Structural Biology, Pitt
Distinguished Professor of Structural Biology, Pitt
Professor of Bioengineering, Pitt
- The molecular and atomic details that govern specificity in a variety of cellular interactions and that result in the amazing functional diversity observed in living organisms.
Professor, Opthalmology & Developmental Biology, Pitt
Director, Louis J. Fox Center for Vision Restoration, Pitt
We study eye development and disease. We’re particularly interested in the genomic and epigenomic regulation of retinal development and regeneration.
Eberly Family Professor of Biotechnology, HHMI Professor, Biological Sciences, Pitt
- The molecular genetics of the mycobacteria and their mycobacteriophages.
Professor, Computer Science, Pitt
- The development of modern machine learning technologies for analysis of high dimensional time-series data in electronic health record (EHR) data and their application in clinical decision support and clinical alerting.
Eberly Family Career Development Associate Professor, Biological Sciences, CMU
- Understanding the role of bacteria in both health and disease.
Department Head and Dr. Frederick A. Schwertz Distinguished Professor of Life Sciences, Biological Sciences, CMU
- How genomes control cell fate decisions during embryonic development and also later regeneration.
Associate Professor, Biomedical Informatics, Pitt
- We apply artificial intelligence, machine learning, Bayesian, and other computational methods to problems in biology, medicine, and translational research.
Assistant Professor, Immunology, Computational & Systems Biology, Pitt
- Characterizing the antigenic targets of CD8+ T cells and regulatory T cells in anti-tumor and autoimmune T cell responses and probing the mechanistic basis of cross-reactivity of T cells between self- and pathogen-derived targets
Richard King Mellon Professor and Distinguished Professor of Computational Chemistry, Pitt
Associate Director, Center for Research Computing, Pitt
- Theory and experimental studies of molecules and clusters, reaction at surfaces, electron and proton localization transfer in polyatomic molecules and waterclusters.
Professor, Chemistry, CMU
- Understanding the work of membrane proteins, such as receptors, signal transduction proteins, toxins, and ion channels.
Adjunct Professor, Computational Biology, CMU
- Personalized Medicine and Computational Structural Biology using Machine Learning and Mechanistic Modeling. Modeling the evolution of drug resistance.
Professor and Chair, Biological Sciences, Pitt
- Elucidating the evolution of bacterial genomes, including their size, composition, variability, and organization.
William J. Brown Professor, Biomedical Engineering, CMU
Director, Center for the Mechanics and Engineering of Cellular Systems, CMU
- To investigate biological systems with mechanical engineering approaches, which we enable by synthesizing novel technologies.
Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences, Pitt
- My research addresses how gene expression programs change, leading to changes to cellular identity.
Professor and Chair, Computer Science, Pitt
Co-Director, Advanced Data Management Technologies Laboratory, Pitt
- Big data, user-centric data management, scientific data management, data stream management systems and data-intensive computing.
Project Scientist, Computational Biology Department, CMU
- My research is focused on algorithm development and improvement in Bioinformatics such as genome assembly, RNA transcript assembly, sequence alignment, biological data storage, search and retrieval.
Associate Professor, Biological Sciences, CMU
- Understanding the genetic causes of variation in gene expression.
Founders University Professor, Machine Learning, CMU
- Machine learning to understand how the human brain uses neural activity to represent information, and statistical learning algorithms for natural language processing.
Assistant Professor, Human Genetics & Biostatistics, Pitt
- Investigates large-scale behavior of molecular dynamics in human diseases using bioinformatics, identifying molecular mechanisms of human diseases across diverse types of genetic and epigenetic data through big data analysis and machine learning algorithms.
Andris A. Zoltners Professor of Business, CMU
Professor of Operations Research and Computer Science, CMU
Director of Analytics Strategy, Tepper School of Business, CMU
- Models, methods, and applications of discrete optimization.
Professor, Biological Science, Pitt
- We study the evolution of gene regulatory networks that control differences in morphology.
Professor, Statistics, Computational Biology, CMU
- The use of statistical tools to understand the workings of the human genome and the nature of inherited diseases.
Professor and Department Chair, Mathematics, Pitt
- Modeling and analysis of neuronal network dynamics, especially respiratory, locomotor and pathological rhythms; modeling acute inflammation, including in traumatic brain injury; multiple time scale dynamics and parameter estimation for biological models.
Head, CMU Qatar Biological Sciences Program
Professor, Biological Sciences, CMU
- My research is directed at understanding inter-molecular interactions in biological systems.
Highmark Distinguished Career Professor, Chemical & Biomedical Engineering, CMU
Director, Disruptive Health Tech Inst., CMU
- For the last 20 years, the Russell laboratory has been discovering what can be achieved by exploiting the rich interface of chemistry, biology and materials.
Associate Professor, Physics & Astronomy, Pitt
- Our research aims to understand mechanisms of collective behavior and variability in bacterial cultures and their effect on responses to changing environments.
Angel Jordan University Professor, Computer Science, CMU
Co-Director, CMU AI
Director, Electronic Marketplace Laboratory, CMU
- Steering evolution and biological adaptation using computational game theory and opponent exploitation techniques; generating multi-step treatment plans; optimization, game theory, artificial intelligence, and market design.
Director, Pittsburgh Development Center, Pitt
Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology, Reproductive Sciences, Cell Biology, and Bioengineering, Pitt
Director of the Division of Development and Regenerative Medicine, Pitt
- The molecular biology of cell function in gametes, embryos, stem cells, maternal/fetal efficacy of assisted reproduction technologies, the origins of developmental diseases...
Associate Professor, Ophthalmology & Bioengineering Ocular Biomechanics Laboratory, Pitt
Director, Image Acquisition and Analysis Core Module, Ophthalmology and Visual Science Center, Pitt
- We study soft tissue architecture and biomechanics. We use computational and experimental tools to figure out natural strategies to make tissues robust and last a lifetime. We do this primarily by studying the eye.
Director, Center for Systems Immunology, Pitt
Professor, Immunology, Pitt
- The analysis of transcription factors and gene regulatory networks that regulate the development and functioning of innate and adaptive cells of the immune system.
Assistant Professor, Computational & Systems Biology, Pitt
- Cell cycle plasticity in human health and disease.
Associate Professor, Mathematics, Pitt
- My research is in the area of mathematical biology. We construct mathematical models of biological systems within the framework of continuum mechanics and stochastic dynamic systems.
Professor, Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Pharmacology & Chemical Biology and Computational & Systems Biology, Pitt
- We are interested in the action of low-affinity drugs, such as general anesthetics and alcohols, on the neurotransmitter-gated receptor channels.
Associate Professor, Computing and Information, Pitt
- Application of AI, machine learning, data mining of biomedical data, and Bayesian methods to problems in clinical medicine and bioinformatics with focus on patient-specific predictive modeling.
Professor, Surgery, Immunology, Bioengineering, Computational Biology, Clinical & Translational Science, and Communication Science & Disorders, Pitt
- Our group’s research focuses on studying mechanisms of inflammation and gaining a systems-level perspective into this central physiological and pathological process.
Associate Professor, Pathology & Biomedical Informatics, Pitt
- Develop novel bioinformatics tools and models to predict therapeutic responses of cancer targeted therapies and immunotherapies, as well as to facilitate clinically important decisions. Develop integrative computational genomics approaches to discover causal genetic alternations, viable therapeutic targets, and predictive biomarkers in cancer. Characterize the landscape of driving genetic aberrations, therapeutic targets, and predictive biomarkers for the development of new cancer precision medicine.
Mehrabian Professor, Biomedical Engineering, CMU
- Mechanics represent a key aspect of live cells. Our lab seeks a cellular-level understanding of the mechanisms of actuating and sensing mechanical events.
UPMC Professor of Statistics and Data Science, Statistics, ML, CMU
- We are group of faculty and students in Statistics and Machine Learning broadly interested in theoretical work at the intersection of these two disciplines.
Senior Systems Scientist, Computational Biology, CMU
- My research uses integrative approaches to study complex human diseases by combining biology, computational and statistical learning, bioinformatics, and genomics.
Associate Professor, Radiology, Biomedical Informatics, Bioengineering, Intelligent Systems, Clinical and Translational Science, Pitt
Director, Intelligent Computing for Clinical Imaging (ICCI) Lab, Pitt
Technical Director for AI Innovations in Radiology, Pitt
- Current research interests center on computational breast imaging and clinical studies for investigating quantitative imaging-derived biomarkers, models, and systems for breast cancer screening, risk assessment, diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment, towards improving individualized clinical decision-making and precision medicine.
Associate Dean of PharmacoAnaltyics, Pitt
Professor, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pitt
- Dr. Xie’s research group designs and discovers GPCRs chemical genomics-based drugs for osteoporosis, multiple myeloma and breast cancer research.
Peter Winter Professor of Anesthesiology, Pitt
Professor of Pharmacology & Chemical Biology, Physics & Astronomy, and Structural Biology, Pitt
Vice Chair for Basic Sciences, Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine, Pitt
- High-Resolution Channel Protein Structure and Function; Molecular Mechanisms of General Anesthesia; MRI of Brain Protection after Cardiac Arrest and Resuscitation.
Associate Professor, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pitt
- The Yang lab focuses on computational and functional studies to identify mechanisms of cancer drug resistance, and to develop approaches/markers for personalized cancer medicine.